Setting up a Small Home Business

• Thread starter Thread starter ashhad
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 2,878
ISP
Excitel
One of my relative wants start a business in her home. She has 3 rooms vacant on the ground floor and want to earn roughly 10-15K per month by those rooms. Renting the house is not an option. She can invest upto 1 Lakh for setting up the business. Any Ideas for the business (And yeah, she is a lady, so the opportunities are limited).

Insurnace advisor, tution center, ladies tailor.... but the point is what interests her and also whats the location of place mkt or purely residential.

I doubt in this age of smartphone anyone come to cybcafe nowadays. only when some official work needs to be done and one doesn't have pc at home one visits there.

hmm still there are mobile recharge outlet present in my locality

whats about Amazon FBA
he got space he can store stuff earn just for logistics

Yep small courier franchise can be started.

Talking about cyber cafe, it is not her cup of tea. The house is situated is a locality a couple of minutes away from the main market.

lol if she can't handle cyber cafe then how come gaming gadgets?

lol if she can't handle cyber cafe then how come gaming gadgets?

Haha i just figured that while reading other replies, even an investment of 1 lakh is not enough for Video Game Parlour! Three latest consoles with legit game copies will eat whole budget!

Well then i think the best option is "Tuition center"

I have to shoot down the idea of ladies tailoring shop because it is very difficult to find skilled labor in that sector. Running a tailoring shop cannot be left to employees like a small beauty parlor (but beauty parlor needs more than one lakh investment and also preferably a well to do neighborhood and the place has to be readily visible and not tucked away in a lane.) The owner of a tailoring shop must have some domain knowledge of fabrics, stitching, cutting cloth and fashion.

Same goes for tuition center. A tutor or group of tutors may rent the space but beginning a tutoring center when one is not a tutor or teacher is just not possible (I have worked as a tutor so I know this industry inside out.) If I am a good tutor why will I work for the guy who owns the space .. I will rent it for Rs 10,000 - 30,000, tutor students and keep the excess. Also tutoring center needs to be at a place that has superb connectivity and be easily accessible (not even a lane 300 yards removed from arterial road or a sub arterial road will do.)

Such a premium location will not have 3 rooms empty to begin with .. long back someone will have paid Rs 40,000 per month to scoop it up (assuming it is a large metro town like Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay, Madras)

Those who suggested the above kindly do not take it personally.

One business can be started with one lakh though at first it needs some initiative and marketing .. in Calcutta we have home food vendors. Those who are single or those families which do not have a cook are always looking for home cooked food delivered to their door step (in tiffin carrier.) It requires no trade license and only investment is a gas stove (Rs 2,000), a mixer grinder (Rs 2,000) and basic stock of food grains, veggies, meat etc. Essentially cost of making 7 days * 20 meals = 140 meals * Rs 90 = 12,600 is needed as working capital (payment from customers is weekly so 7 day cycle calculated.)

Total set up cost is Rs 12,600 + Rs 2,000 + Rs 2,000 = Rs 16,600. Add 100% excess variance = Rs 33,200. Add Rs 18,000 emergency fund Rs 51,000 (half of the available lakh.)

Advertisement is through flyers and pamphlets. Labor needed is one cook monthly salary Rs 8,000 (cooking 20 - 40 meals a day may or may not costs more than 8,000 but definitely no more than Rs 12,000), one assistant for help with buying from market, delivery of tiffin carriers (usually done between 7:30 PM and 9 PM) and miscellaneous chores Rs 4,000.

Plus side is .. if this is successful (breaks even in one year or less and returns the Rs 30,000 investment) it can be very easily scaled up. Small offices (up to 50 people) always look for vendors to provide lunch. Negative is .. like all easy to run businesses/professions the market is saturated and ultra competitive.

Last edited:
Home food vendor business sounds good. The ordering procedure can be made online. Something like this Chotu Chai Wala | Order Tea Online in Mumbai. There is no need to have any license for this. Use Twikster+Instamojo combo. Absolutely no paperwork needed for setting up website.

Once the annual turnover crosses few lakhs, she will need licenses. Need to apply to municipality for license first. Costs couple of hundred bucks here in Mangalore. Service Tax/VAT maybe needed. It costs around 3.5k for VAT registration here. For more info, contact a lawyer/CA.