Act Broadband is no longer giving public IPs

vj_v1

ISP
bsnl
Hi,

Did anyone notice the fact that ACT is now giving out Private IP addresses instead of public since the past few days?

They seem to be giving out Private IP addresses and then NAT it to a public IP.

Can you guys see if you are seeing similar private ip addressing on your side too? If it is true for all, ACT is doomed.

cYGXlqo.jpg

Well, I sent a mail to their support with the below notice at the bottom of my mail.

"IMPORTANT: Please don't have you dumb customer support call me trying to understand what i am trying to say or please do try to send your local engineer to my home to try and fix this issue, they have no idea what i am talking about. BUT your NETWORK ENGINEER would clearly understand what i am trying to say, so please have you Network engineer call me."

Got a call within 10 mins and that guy had a good idea about what i wanted. He tells me what's on the portal is not my actual IP, whats showing on google is the correct one.

I tell him, "brother - I know whats on the portal is not the correct IP but I want to see a public IP on my router and i am not seeing that right now and you need to fix it". He tells me VLAN is changed and it's not possible to give public Ip and i need to get a leased line for that.

I yell at him and ask him why all this changed in a week without notifying customers, I asked him to have his nodal officer reply with a proper document explaining why this changed all of a sudden when i had a public ip for 5 years. I also kinda threatened them that i will have whole of hyderabad write to them about the Private Ip thing and screw them. He just said he will have his nodal officer reply.

Looks like this is going to be a long one for me. Lets see what happens.

did your caf mentioned u ll be given public ip address? if not then they are not legally bounded, they use to doesn't mean they are obliged to.

only good reason for getting a public ip i know is for commercial services, he is right in saying to get a leased line if u really need it. or better pay for static public ip address if that exists.

Don't you want them to act like airtel which gives public ip with 512kbps upload speed.

if you really are getting any problem with private ip, complaint about that.
shouting on poor chap who is just don't doing his duty and bragging online doesn't make you any hero.

shame on you mister.

@igloo Thank you for your valuable feedback and your concern for the poor chap. If you do not need a public IP, it does not mean i don't need it. You don't need to worry so much about the poor chap, he is there ot deal with customers like me, it's his job.

I signed up for their service coz they give out a public IP address, for that matter all service providers i used in the past give out Public Ip addresses, even ACT did so until last week. When i signed up, they did inform me that the Public IP is dynamic and im not ok with that, but this private IP NAT thing just doesn't work for me.

PS: No one needs to get personal, everyone has their own personal opinion, so you can better mind you own tongue if something doesn't work for you.

@chromaniac - I am aware of the deficiency of IPv4 addresses, they should probably give out private ip addresses to all new customers if they don't have enough, not pull a surpise on the old ones or they should be more advanced and switchover to IPv6, i'm game to use IPV6 if they can offer me the service,

-VJ

What's the benefit of Public IP?

Isn't it good that you can download stuff without anyone seeing your real IP? Isn't it good for privacy?

Is your NAT public IP dynamic? If not, then it can be problematic.

Okay time to share my experience. I'm in Bangalore for reference.

Firstly this will only solve the double NAT issue that comes along with giving people private IP addresses instead of public ones. I apologise if this is not what you're looking for but I believe it is better than using a VPN because I've never gotten above 20MBps with one.

To Fix Port Forwarding:
  1. Call CC and tell them you would like to speak to an engineer. Wait for the callback.
  2. Tell the engineer that you need open ports because you use game servers so you would like a static private IP (not public IP).
  3. He should disable PPPoE on your account and tell you to setup your router WAN for a static IP like the following: https://puu.sh/jZG00/4aa9360697.png
  4. If he bullshits around just tell him to look at the configuration for account # 10455273
  5. There, you should now be able to port forward.

Now you might notice that most public trackers will not give you a proper peer response after doing this. This is largely because ACT is now intercepting tracker responses over ports 80 and 81 to make you use more local peers (P4P), whether this happens outside Bangalore or not I will still post the fix.

To Fix Tracker Responses:
  1. Get a SOCKS5 proxy subscription (or whatever). I use PIA.
  2. In uTorrent or basically any other torrenting client enable the proxy only for hostname lookups/tracker lookups. What this means is that the client will only use the proxy to query trackers. All other connections will be done over your normal connection (full speed) and that's the IP that will be reported to the seeds/peers.
  3. It looks like this in uTorrent 2.2.1: http://puu.sh/jZGBz/9aabfdb248.png
Done, you should be able to torrent just fine now.

the speeds are pathetic lately, lot of buffering on you tube and video streaming websites
I am experiencing the same thing. However, that's only on first load. Refresh the page as soon as it loads and the video will stream at expected speeds. I believe ACT is using some inefficient version of caching.